Tuesday, July 24, 2012

The summer blizzard

I've already declared my love of sweets. While I enjoy a healthy diet and lifestyle, I do like to indulge every now and again. Who doesn't? I'm not saying it's right or wrong, or if it's right for everyone, but it's definitely something I enjoy.

One of my favourite things to do is treat myself with ice cream in the summer. Anyone who follows me on Twitter is familiar with my view toward the cold sweet stuff: anytime is a good time for ice cream! Well maybe not all the time, but if you have it once a week it's not the end of the world. Since there's no Marble Slab or Cold Stone in this town, I usually head to DQ to get my fix. I do love Blizzards (the ice cream kind, not the winter storm kind). Although sometimes when I get a Blizzard, I feel like I could have better spent my $5. Sometimes Blizzards are awesome; the perfect proportion of cookie bits to soft serve. But more times I feel like all the cookie dough and Oreo bits are at the top and when I am halfway done I'm left with plain vanilla. No even distribution, and certainly not what I paid for. So I thought, maybe I can do it better!

Aside from my own curiosity to see if I could actually do something like this at home, my other inspiration to give this a try came from my husband. When you're allergic to chocolate and you go to DQ, there aren't many exciting options on the Blizzard menu to choose from. I wanted to share the joy of a mixed delicious ice cream treat with him so he, too could understand the pleasure I take in every spoonful of Blizzard I devour.

I picked up Oreos, Golden Oreos and vanilla ice cream all for the low price of just $7 at the grocery store. Next? It was time to try it out. The Magic Bullet was the perfect blender to use for this experiment, since it gave me more control over the blending process and it was also ideal for making two quick but different flavoured ice cream treats. I took 3 Golden Oreos and broke them apart, and put them into one of my party mug Magic Bullet cups. Then, I added about 2 big scoops of vanilla ice cream, and I threw in a handful of carob chips for good measure. Time to start blending! I used the pulsing technique to make the perfect blend of ice cream to cookie pieces. The result? Success! I repeated the same process for my own, only this time I used Oreos and chocolate.

It's now a staple treat for a hot summer day, and it's much more cost effective and tastier (in my opinion)! If you give this a try, feel free to leave a comment and share what your favourite flavour combinations are! Enjoy! x




No comments:

Post a Comment