Wednesday, July 18, 2012

beauty banter: pastel perfect

It's just around the corner, or depending on where you are, it's already here. Some refer to it as the dog days of summer, while I think of it as my favourite time of year. Hot summer days, and sultry summer nights. Dawning light and breezy outfits, sunshine, gelato and soft pastel hues are everything that this time of year is about and everything I dream of on cold winter days.

While pastels are synonymous with summer, they are also a trend this year. I have a naturally fair complexion and even if I tried to tan I wouldn't be much darker, anyway. Fair skin generally doesn't work well with pastel shades, at least in my experience. Layering a pastel top with a contrasting shade can often address this problem, but it still doesn't help the fact that I don't feel I can wear a pastel hue on its own against my fair skin tone.

Even though I don't feel I can wear pastels well, I decided to give them a chance this season the best way I know how: a pedicure! After being introduced to Essie's new summer collection I chose Cascade Cool, an adorable shade of pink, and purchased the polish with some skepticism. I should mention that while Cascade Cool is a pretty pastel shade, the other colours in Essie's summer collection are quite the opposite.

So, I tried it out. The result? I was pleasantly surprised with the first application! And after a second coat, I was in love. It was different from the bold, heavily pigmented colours I usually opt for, but it was nice; in a pretty, summery way! It's a very feminine shade, and it looks beautiful with peep-toe shoes or sandals this season!




No comments:

Post a Comment