Monday, July 2, 2012

Every day I'm trufflin': Truffle recipe


Since it's Canada Day, I decided to make my holiday truffles! It's definitely not the season I associate with truffles or 'holiday', but since they're fun and it's been a few months since I've made them I decided it was time to make them again! These are delicious, easy to make, and fantastic for any holiday or occasion since you can decorate them however you like. For the truffles pictured here, I used Canada Day decos, white sprinkles and carob powder. If you haven't heard of carob, I'm sure you're wondering what it is! It's a healthier substitute for chocolate (or so I'm told). It's said to be lower in fat therefore healthier than chocolate, but it's definitely much sweeter.

If I was making these for me I would choose to use semi-sweet chocolate chips, but I'm married to someone who has the unfortunate plague of being allergic to chocolate and has never tasted a chocolate truffle in his life (at least that what he tells me anyway!) Since chocolate is out of the question for him, I used the next best thing: carob. I have made these in the past using chocolate and another time using carob, and on each occasion they were a huge success. The recipe below makes about 20 truffles. 

If you do make these, post a comment below and let me know how your truffle-making experience went! Happy truffling!

 Ingredients
  • 9 oz. chocolate or carob chips
  • 2 tbsp. butter
  • 1/3 cup heavy cream
  • Decorations
1. Melt chocolate or carob chips and butter in a double boiler. Add heavy cream and stir until satin-like and smooth. Cover and refrigerate until set (about 6 hours for chocolate; about 1.5 hours for carob). The mixture should be mouldable and not too hard.

2. Place decorations on separate plates, and set aside
3. When the mixture is set, scoop up by teaspoons. Form into balls and then roll into decorations. Store in an airtight container, refrigerate, and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment