Friday, June 29, 2012

The catwalk: striped summer dress

Even though it's just begun, I can already see some themes developing in my summer wardrobe: colour (obviously), prints and stripes! One of my favourite summer dresses this season is a chic, striped dress I picked up just a few weeks ago.

Horizontal stripes have always been the subject of debate in the fashion world. I've heard it all, and I'm sure you have too. Everything from "horizontal stripes make you look fat", to "horizontal stripes make you look thin", and everything in between those polar opposite statements. Some may argue that stripes might even make you look like a prisoner. My opinion? Forget everything you've heard, and if you're comfortable in it and you love it, then wear it!

If you don't already have a striped dress, you should consider adding a piece like this one to your wardrobe. It features an asymmetrical neckline, pleated left shoulder detail, a bright blue removable belt and hits just above the knee. 

Whether you'd like to add a fashion-forward, polished look to your work wear or a classy piece for night, this dress really makes a statement whenever you choose to wear it. Want to add a little more colour? Pair it with a bright handbag or some coloured heels to round out the look. If you like this look but waistline is a concern for you, try it with a blazer or a cardigan and wear it with confidence! 

I almost forgot... the best part about this dress? The price. I paid a cool $50 at Winners, and I saw the same dress for $80 at Macy's, $88 at Nordstrom and $93 on Overstock.com. Now that's what I call a steal! 

Happy long weekend! x

Photo credit: Sam Russell

Photo credit: Sam Russell
Calvin Klein striped belted sheath dress.

2 comments:

  1. Love the dress and great shots from Sam!! : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Sam is fantastic and super talented!

      Delete